Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Thing #15: In Which Stacey goes 2.0

Well I read the 5 perspectives on Web 2.0 and where it will take libraries. Each had interesting points, although I did glaze over a bit as I was reading about the cataloging. And I did find it amusing that the entry about cooperating had the guy holding the big stick.

Away from the icebergs
is an interesting perspective on overcoming obstacles. I remember in library school, professors telling us that nothing would ever remain static again. It is exciting to look into new things and stay on top of trends. I really want to avoid being on the Titanic!

Into a new world of librarianship
was interesting, talking about how to be librarian 2.0. It reminds me of listening to Stacey Aldrich talk about being a futurist. Reading this and other articles about being a librarian of the future frustrates me sometimes, because I want to do these things, but I also want to be a children's librarian. And while I know I can be both, there just aren't enough hours in a day, which would explain why I'm doing this @ 11pm.

To a temporary place in time...
was my favorite. I like how Dr. Schultz describes the library's progression to meet the needs of customers and how it always morphs into what they need. I'd like to hang out at the knowledge spa. And how fun would that be for each of us to have our own library avatar. Love it! :)

I guess Library 2.0 is not afraid to be on the cutting edge, but not for cutting edge's sake. It's services are there, not because they are the first to have something, but because it is what people are looking for. Almost like cruise directors making sure customers have what they are looking for, plus that little extra that they didn't know they wanted, but how nice to have, now that you mention it. [Hey, the Love Boat theme is better than Titanic! At least you're not plunging to your death!]

No comments: