Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Thing #19: In which Stacey opens Pandora's...Radio

I've never been good at figuring out the online radio thing. Probably just didn't have time to bother. When I was looking at the various Web 2.0 Award Winners, I was having trouble finding something that I wanted to look at. I figured I'd give Pandora's Radio a shot, mainly because I couldn't think of anything pithy to say for the OneSentence link, but also because I wanted to try a radio program and I'm a sucker for Greek myths.

I love this! It asks for an artist and then plays songs by that artist and others like it. You can create "radio stations" for each artist. You can also decide if the song playing is what you are looking for and it will adjust what it plays based on your answer. You can ask it why that song is playing and it will give you an answer something like this:

This selection features a subtle use of vocal harmony, acoustic rhythm piano, major key tonality, emotional male lead vocal performance and a subtle use of strings.*

Awesome!

While this particular site may not have a direct use in the library, I think it is a good one to recommend to other staff and customers, just for their own enjoyment. Sort of a "listeners' advisory" recommendation.

A nice feature is you can navigate around the site while the music plays. Some sites kick you out of what you were doing when you click on something and that is annoying. That is not the case here. There are certain restrictions about what they are allowed to play and how often. You are also not allowed to go back or replay a song for a certain amount of time. I haven't used it long enough to decide if that is frustrating or not, but so far, not.

*In case you were wondering, the artist was Meat Loaf.

No comments: